How are we already in the third and final trimester of this pregnancy?! The first trimester seemed to move at a snail’s pace, that’s for sure. The second went super quickly and I can’t believe it’s over! We’re in the final stretch over here with just 80 days to go until our due date. It was a whirlwind few months, so I have to say, I’m happy to be entering this final trimester.
Hands-down the toughest part of the second trimester had nothing to do with pregnancy. We lost my grandparents in January and that has rocked my family’s world. Losing your favorite people is just such an awful experience. We are trying our hardest to focus on all the wonderful memories we made with them over the years and how we can keep the memories alive for years to come.
I hear the second trimester is usually smooth sailing and the third is where things begin to get a little rocky as far as comfort goes. Thankfully, my only aches and pains are in my lower back. The lower back pain started around week 6 and hasn’t left (and I’m not expecting it to). I had a rough few weeks with some absolutely horrible sciatica pain, but thankfully a massage did wonders and it’s sooooo much better now. We’ll see how long that lasts. 😉
(end of the second trimester – 28 weeks)
Some noteworthy things about the second trimester:
- The holidays! I’m a huge fan of the holiday season and I loved every minute of this one. The only thing I missed? Well, not having any wine or cocktails was definitely a little bit of a bummer, but of course well worth it!
- It snowed SO LITTLE. My favorite part of winter is the snow, so I was a little let down by the Indiana weather this year. We had such a crazy year of record highs, very little snow, and multiple thunder storms. Weird.
- We completed our registries. I’ll share about this in a future post!
- The nursery is coming along. Slowly but surely. We have the dresser, glider, and crib all put together! Struggling with what to do with the books though – IKEA ledges? Bookshelf? Stick to the target cubby unit we already own? Decisions, decisions!
- Our 20 week appointment and scan went well! The ultrasound tech was super sweet and walked us through every little bit of our little babe! Except, of course, when she was checking to see if we had a little boy or girl on the way. We turned our heads at that point and made sure she didn’t print any photos for us of that. 😉 We’re still on the “waiting to be surprised” train!
- We started meeting with other physicians in the practice to get to know everyone a little bit as we have no idea who will happen to be on call when I deliver.
- We received invitations for our baby showers! Yay!
- We found a pediatrician, so we’re all squared away there.
- I’m not craving anything specific. So thankful that this trimester I’ve been loving fruits and veggies – warmly welcomed after a first trimester of not being interested in them.
- Oh my goodness, my bladder. I wake up at least 5 times a night to go to the bathroom. I suppose this is good training, although I could really use a full night of sleep.
- The back/sciatica pain increased. It really is the only thing that’s bothering me right now. It’s awful and makes pretty much any movement uncomfortable, but I’m so thankful that I know I could have a long list of things that aren’t going well, so I’m thankful that this is it. The massage definitely helped, so I’ll be scheduling another one of those and hoping this baby stays away from making his/her nest on top of the nerve!
Now on to checking off a lot of the to-do list before this little one arrives! We’re in the home stretch, so it’s time to get to nesting, planning, preparing, and enjoying these last couple of months as a family of three (Ellie, our mini golden doodle, definitely counts).